When I Find Myself in Times of Trouble, My EC&I Peers Come to Me, Speaking Words of Wisdom, Let it Be…

EC&I 833: Summary of Learning
A Jeopardy-Style Game

person using macbook and ipad
Photo by Anna Shvets on Pexels.com

Okay, team, I know we didn’t have to post anything for this, but I wanted to say a few things about my Summary of Learning. When I was thinking of what to do, I wanted to try something that was more mid-tech, as last semester I tried doing something a little bit more high tech with my second ever attempt at making and editing a video (watch here) and I wanted to do something different. However, with that being said, I didn’t take into account that making a Jeopardy-style game using PowerPoint would make a file too large to embed in my blog post. Before I panicked, I reached out to our EC&I833 discord group, and Raquel was quick to try to help me out. Although none of our ideas ended up working, I decided that I would upload it to a Google Drive Folder and make the folder open to anyone with the link to view. Does this work? Yup. But are there a few things that aren’t ideal? Yup.

You’re probably wondering what the heck I’m talking about, but here are a few things that aren’t ideal:

Don’t have PowerPoint?

If you do not have PowerPoint, you can use Google Slides to open the document, although the fonts do not transfer over, adn the formatting isn’t great.

Opening as
a PDF?

If you open it as a PDF, you have to download it so that it opens correctly and then you can see the cute fonts and formatting.

Opening as a PDF or Google Slide?

If you open it as a PDF or Google Slide, then the Triggers do not work. Triggers are when you make a box disappear on PowerPoint, so when you go back to the first page the boxes disappear, so you know which questions you have completed.

Fonts didn’t transfer over?

Lastly, I’m pretty sure my cute, downloaded fonts don’t transfer over. So if you want to (or have permissions to) download a few cute fonts, I used:

• Anjelika Rose
  • Anja Eliane
  • KG Miss Kindergarten
  • Cheri

Ways to View My Summary of Learning

Some Final Thoughts

laptop on a wooden white desk
Photo by Karolina Grabowska on Pexels.com

So, as my title suggests, sometimes you have to do what you can and let the rest be. Are these Plan B’s for my project ideal? Of course not, but I think that it’s important that I have tried, (and didn’t get the exact result I wanted) but still found a way to make it work. This is something that I like to model to my students too, that teachers don’t always have things down 100% of the time either, and we learn from these opportunities (even if they are a big pain in the old behind and not what we had anticipated or dreamed of for the end result).

So, on that note, thanks for joining me on this journey! I hope to see all y’all in the fall, or I hope we cross paths sometime in the future! Good luck and have a great rest of your summer! Thanks for all of the amazing learning that happened in this course!

4 thoughts on “When I Find Myself in Times of Trouble, My EC&I Peers Come to Me, Speaking Words of Wisdom, Let it Be…

1. Hi Kelly,
    I always appreciate when a teacher or otherwise is willing to admit that things don’t always turn out to be 100% perfect. That said, I thought the jeopardy theme was awesome! Even more, all of the questions were extremely relevant and seemed to cover every major topic that we covered in this course. Great work!
    Chris

1. Thanks for popping by, Chris. Thanks for the encouragement, and checking out my game. Although it wasn’t as successful as I wanted it to be, it’s better to try and “fail” than not try at all, right? Have a great rest of your summer!

2. What a cool way to share your Summary of learning! Your willingness to try something new, go with the flow, provide deep connections and links to course content was a consistent theme all summer session. It truly was a privilege learning alongside you! Have a great rest of your summer!

1. You’re always so kind Jacquie. I too enjoyed learning from you and listening to your experiences that were vastly different than that of my own during online learning. Hopefully, our paths will cross again soon! I enjoyed our time together this semester! 🙂 Enjoy the rest of your summer.