Documentation

Week 2

Before I could begin painting, I watched a video called Watercolour Painting Lesson – How to Activate Tube Watercolours to learn how to prep the paint. Since I was using tubes of paint, the video explained that a dime-size amount of paint is placed in one of the spots of the tray. Next, I added a small amount of water to the paint to mix together and make a watery base. After prepping the paint, I was ready to get started. This week revolved around simply adding different colours onto the paper to understand how the paint works. This week was quite a learning curve for me because a few challenges were faced during the process.

While painting each colour onto the paper, I noticed that some of the colours had more of a water base compared to others. As shown in the images above, the light blue and purple contained a lot of water when added to the paper. I noticed that as I held the paper up, these colours did not drip down the page. At this point, I felt that I had reached a roadblock because I was certain that the colours would drip down the page. After researching, I found a few articles that explained how to make the watercolours have a dripping effect. This helped clear my roadblock.

After reaching a few roadblocks throughout this journey, I eventually reached an end product of my first creation. I decided to add a few different colours onto the water in several different ways. For some of the colours, I simply placed one dot down and then drew a circular motion with it. For other colours, I used a scribbling approach to see how the colours apply. Lastly, I combined some of the colours together because I was curious if they would bleed together or not. Within this painting, I found myself to be proud of the way my green and light yellow combined together. I am unsure how it occurred that they blended nicely. However, I am hopeful to be able to do it again this way in the future.

Reference

Lezley Davidson. (2015, November 26). Watercolour Painting Lesson – How to Activate Tube Watercolours [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqlIBO57MSM.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10