Documentation

Week 9

Watercolour Painting Inspiration for Week 9

For the watercolour painting this week, I spent some time on the internet locating an image to attempt at copying. When looking on the internet, I searched in “easy watercolour paintings”, but so many things came up. One thing extremely noticeable in these searches was that the so-called easy or beginner watercolour paintings were in no way simple. At first, this made me feel as if I would not be able to find an image that correlates to my watercolour painting skill level. Then, I found this image of two balloons in the sky which I found quite interesting to attempt at recreating.

To begin, I decided to paint the yellow balloon onto the paper. Throughout the past few weeks, I hve noticed that adding yellow to the paper afterwards can become incredibly difficult and oftentimes the yellow is more a brown shade. After adding the yellow balloon, I decided to paint the red balloon on. Then, I took some black paint and a thin paintbrush to add a line to each balloon. These lines act as the string that would typically be on a balloon.

After painting the balloons, it was time for the background which in this case was a sky scene. While adding the blue paint, I noticed that it was appearing to be a lot darker than what the original image shows. However, I was okay with this since it adds a personal touch to the creation. After I painted with blue in some of the larger spaces, I carefully traced around the balloons to prevent the colours from mixing. For the most part, this worked out pretty well. However, a small amount of blue did end up on my yellow balloon. Once I finished painting the blue sky, I added some light green paint throughout to add an accent to the creation, making it more vibrant. Once I finished painting, I went over the balloons, especially the yellow one, so attempt at covering any blue/green paint that might have soaked in.

Overall, I am really proud of this painting. One thing that I may want to improve on if I were to do this painting again in the future would be the colour shades. I would attempt at using lighter colours, which might mean more water in the paint mixture.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10