ECS 203 Blog Post #2 – The Tyler Rationale

January 14, 2023 0 By Maddie
  • Personally, I think I’ve experienced the Tyler rationale within my own schooling when we use to do the RAD test, which was a standardized test every student had to do twice in each grade all the way until grade eight. We had to do it once at the beginning of the year to see what we knew before and then we had to do it again at the end of the school year to see where we had grown. I believe that this was the “Tyler rationale” experience because all students were put through the same testing process and graded on the same rubric and in the same way by the teacher. Other than this example, I don’t remember a time when my teachers used the Tyler rationale method and I felt that all students were given the same teachings, but allowed to be graded and express themselves in different ways.
  • There are quite a few limitations with the Tyler rationale experience like how it limits a student’s ability for individual expression and creativity. What I mean by this is the Tyler rationale experience allows children to be taught, marked, and progress at the exact same time and there is no room for error. Another drawback or limitation from the Tyler rationale is this approach to curriculum is that there will be no adaptations or alterations to the lessons being learned. All students are assumed and expected to succeed with the exact same teaching method. Within the PowerPoint and Tuesday’s lecture, it says, “Aim is to remove the teacher’s influence on the curriculum.” (Hildebrandt, slide 53, 2023) This I think shows how the Tyler rationale puts every student through the exact same process and does not allow a teacher to adjust and rearrange even if it is needed by the students. The Tyler rationale makes all students be on the exact same intellectual level and ensures that all children in grade one are ready at the same level and pace for grade two. If certain students are not at the same level, they are then failed because they did not learn the intended objectives of that particular grade.