Blog Post #6

March 20, 2024 0 By Maddie

Log in | Codecademy

For this blog post, I honestly struggled! Before our class, I didn’t know anything about coding and to be honest in high school when we were given the presentations, I would do anything besides the task I was supposed to! When I first logged into Code Academy, I was overstimulated with what my next task should be, but in the search bar, I searched “coding” and a short one-hour module appeared!

I completed the module, which was an introduction to coding for myself. So, learning about variables and how coding works was very interesting. The course is called “Learn How to Code” and is a basic module but very informative! To begin, I practiced setting up different variables so the backgrounds would change from forest/grass to desert or glaciers. Overall,  I was able to grasp a better understanding of this website, rather than create a project I furthered my understanding of the topic.

I think I learned quite a bit since my knowledge beforehand was very minimal. I learned to initially set up a code, and the little facts that ensure you’re on a successful path to code. I think if anyone else is in the same boat as me they should check out Code Academy’s modules on learning the different ways to code, and all the basic information you need to set yourself up for success.

I think coding is important and can be an interesting hobby and or life skill to teach to students. However, I know this will not be an area focused on in my classroom unless there is a major interest among my students. I know coding is important and teaches students many skills, but until I am more educated on the topic, I am unsure if it would be an area I would feel comfortable teaching. Overall, I do think coding is interesting. I just don’t know if teaching it would be done in my classroom unless someone else is doing a presentation!