ECS 203 Blog Post #8

March 1, 2023 0 By Maddie

• [Culturally relevant pedagogy and critical literacy in diverse English classrooms: A case study of a secondary English teacher’s activism and agency]: What will culturally relevant pedagogy look like, sound like, and feel like, in your future classroom?
  • [Placing elementary music education: a case study of a Canadian rural music program.] How will you, as a teacher, contribute to the sense of place for your future students?

Culturally relevant pedagogy I feel can look different for every teacher, and the way they choose to reflect it within their classroom is really their own personal way. I feel like one way I will implement culturally relevant pedagogy is within my English classes. Instead of focusing on Canadian texts, I could add different cultures’ perspectives, languages, and experiences into my teachings so that my students are getting a diverse, well-rounded education on other texts (instead of solely focusing on Canadian literacy). Within the article it says, “Diverse student populations are now one of the distinctive features of schools in North America, and curriculum and teaching practices cannot continue to exclude the experiences of students of color if we expect all students to be successful” (Lopez, pg. 90). Which shows how I want to change that narrative and include different cultures perspectives so that my students all feel included and we are not continuously learning Canadian texts. I believe including different cultures languages, experiences, and perspectives in all of our classrooms should be mandatory within the curriculum and should be a part of every teacher’s personal pedagogy. I also think it’s important for students to be able to have diverse, and culturally inclusive discussions during class. As a future educator, I feel I will contribute to the sense of place within my classroom by creating schedules, and routines that help my students develop a sense of belonging. I also feel the way my classroom is laid out is important, I want students to feel invited and safe within their learning environment. I also think the activities and assignments within my classroom should reflect students feeling like they belong. For example, allowing students to pick topics they research, not just assigning one for the whole class. I feel little things teachers can switch or add to their daily teachings and pedagogy is important and can create a culturally relevant and diverse classroom for yourself as the teacher and your student.