Blog Post #7

March 25, 2024 0 By Maddie

Throughout this course, I have come to understand that increasing our collective digital literacy seems like the best way to combat fake news and the dangers that may accompany it. I feel there are many reasons people fall for fake news Why do people fall for fake news? – Fake News – Research Guides at Thompson Rivers University Library (tru.ca) says, “… people can now create content unburdened by the layers of editing and fact-checking that news organizations adhere to.” Which I think is very true. When I was in elementary school my teacher explained to us that not everything, we read on the internet is true, She continued to create her own Wikipedia page and added herself to the Saskatchewan Rough Rider Roster, and I will never forget that moment. Watching her alter that small website, made me to this day question the resources I am using and the information I am finding out through the internet. I feel because I had this discussion, I was able to understand fake news happens, whereas some people may have not been taught about it. I think starting to teach students about reliable resources from a young age. I took one of the quizzes that were posted: Quiz: can you spot the fake news headline? | this. (deakin.edu.au) and my results shocked me, I was able to find fake news more easily than I thought. My judgment was on point I guess hahaha! I feel this may not be the most accurate quiz, but it was fun to see what my possible outcome was.

While I do not have my classroom, I am pre-interning right now so teaching digital literacy in a grade ½ classroom involves introducing the foundational concepts and information the students need to engage with technology appropriately and engagingly. I feel like the introduction to digital literacy can shift depending on the teacher teaching the concept. , if I was a grade ½ teacher I would start by ensuring my students understand basic digital devices like tablets or computers, I would ensure the students know how to turn on the technology, how to go onto the internet, use a mouse, and just teach the students the different information they need to be successful when using technology in the classroom. I also feel that introducing digital literacy to a grade ½ classroom emphasizing the importance of online safety is very important. Students need to know concepts like not sharing personal information on the internet or untrusted websites/apps. This lesson can be basic, but ensuring students are starting to be familiar with inline safety is very important when adding digital literacy to your classroom. I also think that introducing digital citizenship to the students is important because they need to understand the importance of being kind and respectful of others online (avoiding cyberbullying from a young age possibly) I think that grade ½ students will not be able to completely grasp the concept of technology and digital literacy, but you can start to introduce these concepts in a basic, but effective manner. I feel any part of the curriculum, technology can be beneficial to incorporate especially science. When students are allowed to play around in a hands-on matter, they can grasp the information better. Scaffolding is an approach most educators would want to take; this creates plenty of hands-on experiences and helps with repetition and practice. I think grade ½ a foundation can be set for digital literacy and how the students can start to navigate within a digital world.

NCTE’s goals are laid out on their website as we’ve read. However, I think incorporating these goals can happen in a variety of ways as well. For example, the Definition of Literacy in a Digital Age – National Council of Teachers of English (ncte.org) says, “Examine the rights, responsibilities, and ethical implications of the use and creation of information.” Grade one would be learning the basic information and guidelines of the digital world, to help them move on into the future and be able to incorporate digital literacy into their daily education. I think the goals and framework the NCTE has laid out are some goals and questions I have not even thought of myself on my journey in a digital world. I think digital literacy is something most schools are starting to veer towards with tablets, smart boards, and the all-out use of a projector screen. I think this motion has been beneficial and I think each grade level has a different skill set when it comes to technology and the NCTE having goals and framework laid out is helpful. I also feel if we adjusted the curriculum and had explicit areas where technology could be used or devoted to, it would spark the teachers who teach without technology. I used to love reading, but then I started using a read-aloud digital tool when with my students, and not only did I fall in love so did they! Digital literacy looks different in all grade levels, but above are just some examples of how I would introduce the concept of digital literacy to my grade ½ classroom.