Blog Post #2

January 28, 2024 0 By Maddie

For this blog post, I decided to take some screenshots of my phone’s screen time usage to show you all the most frequent apps I use in my daily life.

By looking at the pictures above my daily average of being on my phone is 3 hours and 41 minutes, and the most frequently used app is Roku, then Snapchat, then Apple Music, and so on! The reason the Roku app is the most used is that I use that app as my T.V. remote, so this tool is related to my leisure time. Snapchat is my main form of communication with my friends, so this app is mainly used for social interaction rather than academic pursuits. These are just for my phone. If I looked at my laptop data, it would say UR Courses, which is what I use for academic purposes!

To stay organized in my daily life I use quite a bit of stuff, I’m not very technology savvy so I use the old-fashioned calendar and write everything down! However, I have started using TimeTree as my online calendar, which I like. It helps me stay organized throughout the weeks and allows for me to plan. I have attached the link below, I recommend this, even for friend groups because you can add people to a shared calendar, so you will always know when someone is busy or not!

TimeTree | An app for easy calendar sharing and communication (timetreeapp.com)

I get distracted so easily when I am working online with technology, and a few apps that decrease my productivity are Amazon and Facebook. I feel like I am always on these two apps when I am supposed to be working on assignments and sticking to a schedule. I have noticed that when I start working on homework early in the morning I don’t get distracted as easily as I do later on throughout the day and at night. I also feel that if I let my phone charge in a different room, I won’t be that distracted, and I allow myself to get my work done and stay on the schedule I have set for myself.

Looking back on my last four years of school, I feel I have balanced screen time for academic purposes and personal well-being fairly well. I make sure to get my screen time for academic purposes done first, then reward myself with the chance to use apps like Amazon and Facebook. I also feel that I have learned that a way to have a healthy relationship with technology is to know when you need a break from it. I have taken many breaks off social media and taken time for myself which has allowed me to refresh and ensure I still have a healthy relationship with technology. Overall, I feel I have a pretty healthy relationship with social media and technology, and I use my time wisely for both academic purposes as well as personal well-being.