Post #8 – Starting To See the Finish Line

March 20, 2024 1 By Maddie

Hello Everyone!

For this week’s learning project post, I felt I had another successful week, where I was able to accomplish most of what I wanted to in my bathroom renovation! I was able to finish the baseboards and finish the handles for the cabinets. They are painted, but not attached back onto the cabinets yet. The bathroom is also still missing a door, which has been inconvenient for me since my bedroom is downstairs too.

While completing all these tasks, I was also able to find myself using a new digital tool to help me advance in my bathroom renovation. The digital tool I have been using over the last week is the Tape Measure App. The reason I have been using this is because my main focus for this week was measuring, fitting, and nailing the baseboards into the wall. I wanted this completed because ties the floors together in my opinion.

The Tape Measure App is an app that can be downloaded on your iPhone. You hold your phone up to the area you want to measure, and the phone will automatically check it. Below is a screenshot of an app and how it works. I also have attached a link to a video that explains the app.

I thought this would be a great tool, but also I was not one hundred percent sure that it would be accurate so I got my step-dad to remeasure with his measuring tape and the results were fairly close but not one hundred percent accurate.

I also think that this app would be a fun app to use in the classroom if phones were accessible and or iPads, the students could practice measuring the objects in the classroom and recording their responses. This can reflect some math outcomes in the Saskatchewan curriculum and would be a fun hands-on activity for them! That is just a thought, and in some schools would be far-fetched! Just a thought! I could’ve easily used a meter stick to measure my bathroom spaces, so that could be an adjustment for a classroom adaptation.

These two photos show the cut pieces of the baseboard being placed into position!

The photos are not the best by any means, but I sometimes tend to forget to whip out my camera when doing the renovations. I get so into what I’m doing that the video recording isn’t my favorite part! Next week I have a plan to finish assembling the cabinets and setting up the mirror as well as add decor to the walls! I am thinking of looking into iMovie and vlogging my experience there at the stores when I am out shopping. This will be out of my comfort zone, but I feel is such a good idea for what my next week’s tasks are about.  I’m starting to see the finish line on this bathroom renovation and next week I will make sure to show better-quality videos and pictures and share my findings on the new digital source I will be looking into!

Stay tuned for the finalizing details being put into the bathroom! Thanks again for following along and we will see you next week! 🙂