ECS 203 Blog Post #9

March 14, 2023 0 By Maddie

I think there are many purposes for teaching treaty education specifically First Nations, Metis, and Inuit because we are within Canada. It is important to include content and perspectives of their cultural knowledge because they truly are a huge reason as to why Canada is Canada. I think it is especially important to teach their perspectives and content where there is few to no FNMI peoples because that’s where the culture is fading, and allowing others to learn will only continue from generation to generation to learn FNMI perspectives and content. I also believe that it is a treaty right and responsibility on behalf of myself and becoming a future educator to teach about FNMI peoples and their perspectives, as I live on treaty land. Treaty education is a huge part of Canada’s history as I mentioned above and the relationships with FNMI peoples is crucial to our development as a country, learning about treaties and their culture gives us a chance to reflect on our shared lands and all the history that has come with it. I believe “We are all treaty people” means that we all are a part of the treaty and have built relationships with FNMI peoples, so it is important to learn and teach about.